Obesity rising among seniors - The Seattle Times

You see eating out & eating junk food from young is the cause. As the old saying you are what you eat.....

Obesity rising among seniors
By Jeff Kunerth The Orlando Sentinel

ORLANDO, Fla. — Grandma, put down that Big Mac.

Seniors are super-sizing themselves into serious health problems, as the number of obese older Americans has doubled in the past 20 years, according to a federal report released yesterday.

Although the alarms have been ringing for years about sedentary, overweight children, the obesity epidemic among older adults largely has been overlooked, said Richard Suzman, associate director for the National Institute on Aging.

"Everybody is surprised by it," Suzman said.

Obesity among Americans ages 65 to 74 increased from 18 percent in 1980 to 36 percent in 2002. The proportion of overweight Americans ages 65 to 74 has gone from 57 percent to 73 percent.

The comprehensive report from a dozen federal agencies shows that, overall, older people are living longer, healthier and wealthier lives than previous generations.

But that could change if Americans don't start eating less and exercising more, officials warn. Read More....

The Seattle Times: Obesity rising among seniors

Comments

Anonymous said…
I skim a lot of blogs, and so far yours is in the Top 3 of my list of favorites. I'm going to dive in and try my hand at it, so wish me luck.

I've got a site you might be interested in (mine is about prostate health ) I know, it sounds strange, but it's like anything, once you learn more about it, it's pretty cool. It's mostly about prostate health related articles and subjects.
Anonymous said…
I feel better then I have in Years.
Anonymous said…
Great point and this is why I come back to this blog.Great feedback, now back to working on cigarette quit smoking help.Thanks,cigarette quit smoking help.